What seems to be a lifetime ago, my friend Lisa brought a book with healthy salad recipes to work. I was skeptical. I admit, I was younger and the word “salad” meant either Russian Potato Salad with eggs, and ham, and pickles or very sad looking lettuce with croutons and plenty of Caesar dressing. But the gut feeling told me to copy some of the recipes. Unfortunately, right after that the gut feeling stopped talking for quite a while. That’s why these recipes were spending their days in my basket for things that I didn’t have the courage to throw out: a broken figurine of an African girl with a jar, half used notebooks, old movie tickets.
And then I got married to a man who LOVES working out, and I decided if not work out then at least eat healthily. I found the photocopies, cleaned them of dust, and bought feta cheese. This recipe is obscenely easy, delicious, and healthy. The original didn’t have any meat, but since I feel cheated when there is no protein in my meal, I decided to add some oven roasted chicken. This salad has the tanginess of lemon, and the saltiness of feta cheese. It is so colourful with yellow corn, green spinach and red tomatoes that it is impossible not to get hungry just looking at it. Enjoy!
1 cup instant brown rice
1 cup water
3 tbsp olive oil
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
4 cups baby arugula or spinach
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1 oven roasted chicken breast
1. Cook rice. After cooling it to room temperature, grate the lemon zest directly over it.
2. Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice into a small bowl. Add oil, salt and whisk to combine.
3. Add the tomatoes, chicken, corn, and half the dressing to the rice.
4. Toss arugula/spinach with the remaining dressing in a separate bowl.
5. Divide the arugula/spinach among the plates. Top with rice mixture, sprinkle with feta.